Hormones are mysterious substances that fluctuate all the time. If they’re balanced, it can make your bodies work like magic. They are chemical messengers that facilitate every bodily process. So it’s no surprise that hormones and weight loss have a relationship that not everyone seems to understand. But it’s also essential that you know how they are related.
Losing weight is a battle that everyone faces. And to acquire the weight you want, you must maintain a delicate mix of hormones. A small change can result in weight gain. So to avoid this from happening, an in-depth understanding is required.
Hormones that can affect weight
Several hormones play a significant role in body weight. So you must know what they are and how you can keep them healthy.
- Insulin: One of the most well-known hormones is insulin. It’s a hormone that helps your body to store fat. So when you have too much insulin, it can make it harder to lose weight. You can exercise regularly, improve your sleep habits, and change your diet to improve insulin sensitivity and decrease insulin resistance.
- Leptin: Another hormone that affects weight is leptin. It’s a hormone that signals to your brain when you’re full. However, some people experience leptin resistance, which makes them overeat. You can try to maintain a healthy weight, exercise regularly, and improve your sleep to improve your levels of leptin.
- Ghrelin: Ghrelin is the opposite of leptin, so it’s the hunger hormone. It tells your brain when you’re hungry. Therefore, its purpose is to increase your appetite.
- Cortisol: Another well-known hormone is cortisol, also referred to as the stress hormone. If you’re stressed, it triggers an increase in heart rate. It’s also known as the “fight or flight response.” Furthermore, obesity contributes to high cortisol levels. So maintaining a healthy weight is necessary.
- Glucagon-like Peptide-1: It’s a hormone that makes you feel full while keeping your blood sugar levels stable. Semiglutide is a weight-loss injectable GLP-1 analog that mimics how the GLP-1 hormone works.
- Peptide YY: Peptide YY is another hormone that decreases appetite. Therefore, sufficient amounts are required to reduce food intake and the risk of obesity.
These are some of the most critical hormones you should keep in check to ensure that you maintain your current weight or lose more. Balancing these hormones is a more sustainable and healthy way of losing weight.
Gaining weight due to hormonal imbalance
Many factors can lead to weight gain, but hormone imbalance is one of the most common. When the hormones are out of balance, it can cause you to gain weight. For example, too much insulin can lead to weight gain because it causes the body to store fat.
The best course of action is to keep track of your hormone levels. Each hormone has different requirements to ensure they’re at a healthy level. So determining if any of them are off-kilter may help you do the necessary solutions to ensure they return to being balanced and at the correct levels.
Losing weight the healthy way
If you’re not happy with your current weight, there are incredible weight-loss programs you can try. These are tailored according to your body and needs.
These are comprehensive approaches that are composed of different solutions. If you need more information about our weight loss solutions, schedule an appointment with us, and we’ll provide you with the best advice.